Frequently Asked Questions
What is social liability insurance?
- This is a legal insurance policy that protects you as the insured (and your family) against allegations that content you have posted on social media has damaged someone's reputation or that you've somehow invaded their privacy through the suse of any internationally recognized social media platform.
What social media platforms am I covered for?
- Any internationally recognized social media platform eg Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Whatsapp etc.
What is NOT covered?
This Policy will not cover you for your legal liability arising out of or relating to –
- Acts of defamation or invasion of privacy committed in the course and scope of your employment, business, trade or profession.
- Any fine or penalty or multiple, punitive or exemplary damages.
- Any acts of defamation or invasion of privacy with religious, cultural, political or racist connotations.
- Your or your child’s reckless disregard of the possible consequences of your or your child’s acts or omissions or of the acts or omissions of others for whom you are responsible, including your or your child’s refusal to remove or delete any possibly defamatory content despite being requested to do so.
- Any act(s) of defamation or invasion of privacy and any situations giving rise to such acts that occurred or arose prior to the inception date of this insurance policy.
- Allegations of defamation or invasion of privacy made against you by any member of your direct family (i.e. mother, father, siblings, spouse, ex-spouse etc).
- War, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities or warlike operations (whether war be declared or not), civil war, mutiny, military rising, military or usurped power, martial law, state of siege or any other similar event.
- Any act of terrorism, which shall mean any act, including but not limited to the use of force or violence and/or the threat thereof, of any person or group(s) of persons, committed for political, religious, ideological or similar purposes including the intention to influence any government and/or to put the public, or any section of the public, in fear.
- A deliberate, wilful or intentional act committed by you or with your involvement or by anyone acting on your behalf with the intention of creating a fraudulent or fictitious claim under this policy.
- Situations where a claim or information or documentation relating to a claim is fraudulent or fictitious or false.
- Damage (including detrimental change) and any consequence therefrom to any Data howsoever caused. Data means any information, facts or program stored as or on, created or used on, or transmitted to or from computer software or any other device.
- Allegations pertaining to the circulation of explicit or pornographic material pertaining to minors
What is the minimum entry age for this insurance?
- Only persons above the age of 18 can legally buy insurance in South Africa but cover is automatically included for the children of any insured person.
When does my cover start?
- You are covered from the day of inception for a 12 month period.
Do I pay a monthly premium to be covered?
- No. Payment will be a once-off payment of the annual amount thus covering you for a period of 12 months.
What is immediate family?
- This includes your spouse and children that are dependant on you and live under the same roof.